Building, Maintaining and Growing Healthy Advising Relationships
Facilitated by Dr. Shannon Lynn Burton, University Ombudsperson.
September 20th, 12:30-2:00 pm in Erickson Hall, Room 228
What does a healthy advising relationship between graduate students and mentors look like? What are graduate student rights and responsibilities in building and maintaining these connections? What happens when things go wrong? Dr. Burton will address how advising relationships should work in an ideal setting, tips for communicating effectively with advisors, how to recognize signals that indicate potential concern and how to resolve conflict when it arises.
The discussion will include the following topics:
- Advisor/Advisee Rights and Responsibilities
- The Graduate School’s Guidelines for Advising and Mentoring Graduate Students
- Effective Communication Strategies
- Power Dynamics and Abrasiveness
- Conflict Resolution Skills
*Zoom link for removte viewing is: https://msu.zoom.us/j/357477762
RSVP appreciated: https://bit.ly/2ki0x4J