2019-2020 Professional Development Award – Presented by
The Graduate School
This program is intended to support graduate/professional students attend events or engage in activities that enhance their professional development. A qualified event includes but is not limited to a local, regional, national or international workshop, academic competition, convention, or association meeting in which the primary goal of event participants is to obtain or hone a skill set useful to their profession both creative and scholarly. Please read the Professional Development Funding Guidelines before applying. Professional development awards cannot be used to fund presentations at conferences. If you are presenting research at a conference, please apply for a Conference Award.
The maximum award amount is $500.00. All graduate and professional students are limited to one COGS Professional Development Award during their MSU academic career. (NOTE: Funds are dispersed as an award via the financial aid office to the student’s stu-info account. Only enrolled graduate/professional students can receive this award.)
To submit an online application, you will need:
- Statement of Justification: In 500 words or less, please explain how you believe the skills, learning, or experience the event offers will be useful to you during your graduate degree or your career thereafter (see guidelines section 3 for more details). Technical details should be made intelligible to a broad audience. If the event is administered by another institute of higher education, please explain how the event differs from similar events at Michigan State University.
- Letter of recommendation: Please have your major professor or advisor write a letter (1) confirming your attendance at the event and (2) explaining how this experience will contribute to your academic career. If you professor wishes to submit the letter directly to our office, it can be emailed to email@example.com. PLEASE NOTE: Letter of Recommendation is part of the application and must be submitted on or before the application deadline to be considered.
Applications are reviewed at Finance Committee meetings and awarded by approval at full council. Number of awards approved depends on available funds for the current semester award budget. Finance Committee may adjust deadlines in future semesters and/or apply lottery for selection (per funding guidelines) if applications exceed available funding.
Applications are due by 5pm on the stated due date. Please note: We are unable to consider late applications.
COGS FUNDS ARE LIMITED, SO APPLICANTS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY BY THE EARLIEST POSTED DEADLINE FOR THE SEMESTER THEY ARE ATTENDING THEIR EVENT. ONLY IF funds remain after the first review period, will applications will be reviewed for the 2nd posted deadline for that semester. Once no more funds remain for a given semester, then no further applications for events taking place for that semester will be considered. (You may apply early for the next semester’s event, but your application won’t be reviewed until the posted review period for that semester.) Website will be updated as to the availability of funds after each initial review period. Funds are dispersed via financial aid to stu-info account soon after awardees are notified and during the semester for which the event occurs.
Fall 2019 (Events from July 1, 2019 through December 31, 2019)
- Application deadline is September 25, 2019 for ALL events taking place July 1, 2019 through December 31, 2019
- Will be reviewed & referred to full council at October 16, 2019 meeting. Notifications will be sent out to applicants within 7 days after 10/16 meeting.
- **Funds are no longer available for Fall Semester 2019 events.**
- You may apply now through February 5th for Spring Semester events that take place from January 1, 2020 through June 30, 2020.
Spring 2020 (Events from January 1, 2020 through June 30, 2020)
- Application deadline is February 5, 2020 for ALL events taking place January 1, 2020 through June 30,2020)
- Will be reviewed & referred to full council at February 19, 2020 meeting. You will receive an email notification of your application status within a week of the 2/19 meeting.
- **IF SPRING SEMESTER FUNDS REMAIN**: Application deadline is April 1, 2020
- Will be reviewed & referred to full council at April 15, 2020 meeting. You will receive an email notification of your application status within a week of the 4/15 meeting.
Please contact the office (517) 353-9189 if you have any questions.
Note funding must be dispersed during the semester for which the event occurs. Please contact the office (517) 353-9189 if you have any questions.