Presented by The Graduate School
This program is intended to support graduate/professional students attend events or engage in activities that enhance their professional development. A qualified event includes but is not limited to a local, regional, national or international workshop, academic competition, convention, or association meeting in which the primary goal of event participants is to obtain or hone a skill set useful to their profession both creative and scholarly. Please read the Professional Development Guidelines before applying. Professional development awards cannot be used to fund presentations at conferences. If you are presenting research at a conference, please apply for a Conference Award.
The maximum award amount is $500.00. All graduate and professional students are limited to one COGS Professional Development Award during their MSU academic career.
To submit an online application, you will need:
- Statement of Justification: In 500 words or less, please explain how you believe the skills, learning, or experience the event offers will be useful to you during your graduate degree or your career thereafter (see guidelines section 3 for more details). Technical details should be made intelligible to a broad audience. If the event is administered by another institute of higher education, please explain how the event differs from similar events at Michigan State University.
- Letter of recommendation: Please have your major professor or advisor write a letter (1) confirming your attendance at the event and (2) explaining how this experience will contribute to your academic career. If you professor wishes to submit the letter directly to our office, it can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling-basis. Applications are due by 5:00 PM as follows:
- Applications due September 19, 2018 to be reviewed Thursday, September 20. Final approval at October 10th full council meeting.
- Applications due October 17, 2018 to be reviewed Thursday, October 18. Final approval at November 14th full council meeting.
- Applications due November 21, 2018 to be reviewed November 28. Final approval at December 5th full council meeting.
- Applications due January 16, 2019 to be reviewed Wednesday, January 30, approved at February 13th full council meeting.
- Applications due February 13, 2019 to be reviewed Wednesday, February 20, for approval at March 13th full council meeting.
- Applications due March 20, 2019 to be reviewed Wednesday, March 27, for approval at April 10th full council meeting.
No FALL PD awards will be considered after November 21st. (Note funding will be dispersed during the semester for which the event occurs.) Please contact the office (517) 353-9189 if you have any questions.