Co-Sponsored by MSU Vice President of Research & Graduate Studies
To help defray the costs of traveling to and from conferences, COGS provides up to $300 in the form of a Conference award. This can be awarded only once during a graduate lifetime. Please review the Conference Award Guidelines before applying. Conference Awards are only awarded to individuals presenting research at a conference. If you are not presenting, please submit a Professional Development Award application. Please note, we are asking recipients of this reward to include a letter of thanks to our sponsor with reimbursement documentation. Please review guidelines carefully for reimbursement requirements.
To submit an online application, you will need:
- Statement of Justification: In 500 words or less, please describe the conference you will be attending, what original research you will be presenting, and how the experience will enhance your academic and/or professional skills.
- Letter of recommendation: Please have your major professor or advisor write a letter (1) confirming your attendance and planned presentation at the conference (2) explaining how this experience will contribute to your academic career. If you professor wishes to submit the letter directly to our office, it can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be reviewed at Finance Committee meetings and awarded by approval at (February and April) full council as long as funds are available for the current semester award budget. Finance Committee may adjust deadlines in future semesters and apply lottery for selection (per funding guidelines) if applications exceed available funding. Applications are due by 5pm on the stated due date, and will be reviewed and then approved by full council as follows:
- Application deadline is January 30, 2019 for ALL conferences taking place January-March.
- Will be reviewed & referred to full council at February meeting.
- Application deadline is March 27, 2019 for ALL conferences taking place April-June.
- Will be reviewed & referred to full council at April meeting.
- For ALL conferences taking place after June 30, 2019, applications will be reviewed in September as the council convenes for the 2019-2020 academic year. Specific deadlines will be posted after July 1, 2019. You may apply now, but application will be held for review in the fall.
Please contact the office (517) 353-9189 if you have any questions.