2020-2021 Conference Award
*Conference Award Applications for 20-21 are open. Please note that travel is not eligible for compensation while University travel restrictions are in place. Expenses incurred for remote conferences are eligible.
For more information regarding travel impacted by COVID-19, please see: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/travel/
To help defray the costs of traveling to and from conferences, COGS provides up to $300 in the form of a Conference award. This can be awarded only once during a graduate lifetime. (NOTE: Funds are dispersed as an award via the financial aid office to the student’s stu-info account. Only enrolled graduate/professional students can receive this award.) Please review the Conference Award Funding Guidelines before applying.
NOTE: Conference Awards are only awarded to individuals presenting research at a conference. If you are not presenting, please submit a Professional Development Award application. Please review funding guidelines carefully for reimbursement requirements.
To submit an online application, you will need:
- Statement of Justification: In 500 words or less, please describe the conference you will be attending, what original research you will be presenting, and how the experience will enhance your academic and/or professional skills.
- Letter of recommendation: Please have your major professor or advisor write a letter (1) confirming your attendance and planned presentation at the conference (2) explaining how this experience will contribute to your academic career. If you professor wishes to submit the letter directly to our office, it can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org PLEASE NOTE: Letter of recommendation is part of the application and must be submitted on or before the application deadline to be considered. It is the applicant’s responsibility to make sure all parts of the application are submitted on time.
Applications will be reviewed at Finance Committee meetings and awarded by approval at full council as long as funds are available for the current semester award budget. Finance Committee may adjust deadlines in future semesters and apply lottery for selection (per funding guidelines) if applications exceed available funding.
Applications are due by 5pm on the stated due date. Please note: We are unable to consider late applications.
COGS FUNDS ARE LIMITED, SO APPLICANTS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY BY THE EARLIEST POSTED DEADLINE FOR THE SEMESTER THEY ARE ATTENDING THEIR CONFERENCE. ONLY IF funds remain after the first review period, will applications will be reviewed for subsequent posted deadlines for that semester. Once no more funds remain for a given semester, then no further applications for conferences taking place for that semester will be considered. (You may apply early for the next semester’s conference, but your application won’t be reviewed until the posted review period for that semester.) Website will be updated as to the availability of funds after each initial review period.
Fall 2020 (Conferences attended from July 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020) – funding is complete for Fall 2020. Applications for Spring 2021 are open.
Spring 2021 (Conferences attended from January 1, 2021 through June 30, 2021)
- Application deadline(s) will be as follows: First Deadline is January 6, 2021. (*For best chance of funding, please apply by the earliest deadline.)
- If funds remain after the first round, subsequent rolling deadlines will be: February 3rd, March 3rd, and March 31st. No applications will be considered after March 31, 2021.
- Award notifications will go out after full council meetings – January 20th, for applications submitted by the first deadline, and Feb. 17, March 17 and April 21 thereafter. (Full Council Meeting dates are listed here.)
Please call the COGS office with any questions: (517) 353-9189.