2019-2020 Conference Award
To help defray the costs of traveling to and from conferences, COGS provides up to $300 in the form of a Conference award. This can be awarded only once during a graduate lifetime. Please review the Conference Award Guidelines before applying.
*If you already submitted an application for the 2019-2020 Conference Award using the 2018-19 application, you do not have to reapply.
NOTE: Conference Awards are only awarded to individuals presenting research at a conference. If you are not presenting, please submit a Professional Development Award application. Please review guidelines carefully for reimbursement requirements.
To submit an online application, you will need:
- Statement of Justification: In 500 words or less, please describe the conference you will be attending, what original research you will be presenting, and how the experience will enhance your academic and/or professional skills.
- Letter of recommendation: Please have your major professor or advisor write a letter (1) confirming your attendance and planned presentation at the conference (2) explaining how this experience will contribute to your academic career. If you professor wishes to submit the letter directly to our office, it can be emailed to email@example.com PLEASE NOTE: Letter of recommendation is part of the application and must be submitted on or before the application deadline to be considered. It is the applicant’s responsibility to make sure all parts of the application are submitted on time.
Applications will be reviewed at Finance Committee meetings and awarded by approval at full council as long as funds are available for the current semester award budget. Finance Committee may adjust deadlines in future semesters and apply lottery for selection (per funding guidelines) if applications exceed available funding.
Applications are due by 5pm on the stated due date. Please note: We are unable to consider late applications.
COGS FUNDS ARE LIMITED, SO APPLICANTS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY BY THE EARLIEST POSTED DEADLINE FOR THE SEMESTER THEY ARE ATTENDING THEIR CONFERENCE. ONLY IF funds remain after the first review period, will applications will be reviewed for the 2nd posted deadline for that semester. Once no more funds remain for a given semester, then no further applications for conferences taking place for that semester will be considered. (You may apply early for the next semester’s conference, but your application won’t be reviewed until the posted review period for that semester.) Website will be updated as to the availability of funds after each initial review period.
Fall 2019 (Conferences from July 1, 2019 through December 31, 2019)
- Application deadline is September 25, 2019 for ALL conferences taking place July 1, 2019 through December 31, 2019
- Will be reviewed & referred to full council at October 16, 2019 meeting.
- **IF FALL SEMESTER FUNDS REMAIN**: Application deadline is October 30, 2019
- Will be reviewed & referred to full council at November 13, 2019 meeting.
Spring 2019 (Conferences from January 1, 2020 through June 30, 2020)
- Application deadline is February 5, 2020 for ALL conferences taking place January 1, 2020 through June 30,2020)
- Will be reviewed & referred to full council at February 19, 2020 meeting.
- **IF SPRING SEMESTER FUNDS REMAIN**: Application deadline is April 1, 2020
- Will be reviewed & referred to full council at April 15, 2020 meeting.
Please contact the office (517) 353-9189 if you have any questions.