COGS and ASMSU have joined together to provide a wide range of legal services to MSU students. This service is free to all graduate students. The plan enables students to consult a staff attorney on many legal matters such as landlord/tenant problems, small claims, traffic offenses, and minor criminal/civil matters. For more specialized needs, students are refereed to other area attorneys.
The Students Defender Division of legal services provides students with advice concerning University regulations, judiciary programs, and any other type of paralegal help necessary to resolve intra-university problems. Students Legal Services is located in Room 329, Student Services Building. Due to the large number of phone calls and potential problems, no legal advice of any kind will be given over the phone. Call 353-3716 or stop by the office to make an appointment.
For more information on student legal aid, visit http://asmsu.msu.edu/services/legal/
For Off-Campus Students: Legal Services are available via Skype:
- Contact Student Legal Services at 517-353-3716 between the hours of 8-12 and 1-5 Monday
through Friday to set up an appointment.
- Please leave a Skype ID so that you can be contacted on the day of your appointment.
- All necessary documents (leases, letters, contracts, traffic citations, etc.) should be scanned and
emailed (firstname.lastname@example.org) or faxed (517-432-1999) to our office at least one day in
advance of your appointment.
- Please ensure that you are in a quiet area for your interview so that you can hear and be heard
easily. Remember, if you chose to use a public location for this interview, your conversation
may be heard by others.
- Appointments will begin promptly at the scheduled time, so make sure you are logged on and
available on Skype when the interview begins.